Author Topic: Tomb of Rooms: Helpful Tips and Tricks  (Read 4652 times)

Nore5515

• Dude
Tomb of Rooms: Helpful Tips and Tricks
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
This game is fantastic, but lacks a tutorial, so I have decided to just simply list helpful tips that me and my friends have discovered.

1. Books are useless. Unless you're in it for the Runes (read the other topic), its not worth it. Although it's fun to read about these monsters and such, it takes up precious space for torches and flashlights.

2. If playing Co-Op, odds are you'll only have one gun. Have the person without a gun be your "spotter," and have them go first to discover enemies and lure them to the person with the gun.

3. DO NOT RELOAD IN DANGER. The reload sequence takes FOREVER and immobilizes you. Many times I have died by shooting one demon/monster/zombie/thingy only to have the other one kill me while I'm reloading.

4. You can light candles, chandeliers, and lanterns by walking past them with a torch. Simple, but helpful.

5. Occasionally, a spider can spawn in the first floor, and simply this knowledge can save you lots of pain.

6. Chalk: Your greatest ally and enemy, it can both help and hinder your progress. As an ally, it's extraordinarily useful. Sometimes, the map can get a bit confusing, so having symbols showing you where you've been is quite helpful. Also, chalk is used in Runes. As an enemy, it can confuse and distract you long enough for a monster/zombie to eviscerate you. Marking off wrong places and getting your own symbols confused can cause you to spend even more time trying to find the way out.

7. Traps can be even worse than the monsters, especially the lethal traps. Panicky running can easily set off a bomb trap, and a seemingly controlled situation can rapidly spiral into death.

8. Don't be afraid of shooting that zombie that's behind your buddy; odds are you won't hit them. However, it is possible to hit them, so try to avoid aiming near them, but it's unavoidable at times.

9. Single player is pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as losing your buddy, especially if he has your gun. NEVER leave your gun. If possible, go back down to the last floor you were at, and your buddy can re-spawn. Then you can go back and hopefully get it back.

10. A shotgun will ALWAYS spawn on the first "real" floor, guaranteed.

11. Last thing, the best time I had with this game was with my friend at night, with absolutely no knowledge of it at all. It's an incredible experience, discovering the terrifying properties of both monsters and traps alike, accidentally blasting my buddy to the next dimension, and finding out that chalk can do more than just draw arrows.

So, if you haven't played it before and your reading this, forget everything you just read, find a friend, and play! Explore everything for yourself, both the good and the bad.

And most importantly, have fun!

EDIT: Oh P.S., please feel free to add your own tips to this topic!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:29:48 AM by Nore5515 »

Bzubko

• Dude
  • Idle Creations Loyal Supporter
Re: Tomb of Rooms: Helpful Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
Great tips! awesome game, should be more popular  8)

Loz

• programmer
  • Administrator
  • Dude
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing! Its really nice to hear you've been having a good time  ;D

Here is a quick tip I can contribute:

12. Bullets only stop when they hit something substantial like a wall. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who is standing behind whatever you shoot.

Bzubko

• Dude
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »
12. Bullets only stop when they hit something substantial like a wall. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who is standing behind whatever you shoot.

GO FOR THE DOUBLE KILL!

Nore5515

• Dude
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
Nice! Time to add a few more tips again.

13. Ent's/Stalking Nightmares burn if you can hit them with a torch, but imagine hitting a bulls eye while the bulls eye is shambling towards you, trying to kill you with it's SUPER REACH. However, they make pretty candles!

14. On the far levels, you'll experience a "Spider Level". Webs will be EVERYWHERE, and they're worse than traps. Disarm them like traps, because if you touch them, you get an unpleasant surprise.

15. The flashlight, from what I can tell, will start to obnoxiously flicker and spark out if you throw it ONCE. Do yourself a favor, hold on to that flashlight tight.

EDIT: 15. Turns out, the longer you use it the faster it will flicker and spark, but dropping it seems to accelerate it. Switching rooms seems to help curb it.

Thats all I have for now, but expect more in the future!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:21:33 AM by Nore5515 »

Bzubko

• Dude
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
15. The flashlight, from what I can tell, will start to obnoxiously flicker and spark out if you throw it ONCE. Do yourself a favor, hold on to that flashlight tight.
Well actually, Im not too sure about this, I know you like to say this is how it works, but I'm pretty sure i have used the flashlight and it flickering on me without tossing it. but I can agree that it is one of the most annoying thing ever, because it gradually worsens the longer you use it, leading to a blinding strobe party! <--- :o 8) when it gets to this point I just like to throw it away and go grab a torch!

idlekaty

• Idle artist
  • Administrator
  • Dude
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:50:01 AM »
Ya... I like the flickering, but I wonder if it should maybe fade in... fade out... rather than flicker constantly whilst running. It can get pretty annoying when running a lot.

Bzubko

• Dude
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »
Interesting... I like it! The flickering does get really annoying sometimes.

Drawn

• Dude
  • get rekt
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
-You can light up tarps if you put your torch into it for a moment

- Shotgun, it can be found anywhere even in bookcases and in the last room. (even in the very first floor)

- Bottle o goo and fire bottle, can be found in last room didn't see them anywhere else, yet.

Drawn

• Dude
  • get rekt
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »
Fire bottle killing a monster

20 seconds fire
http://webmshare.com/MnAZj